An internet questionnaire allows the collection of data through an electronic set of questions that are posted on the web. Participants are invited to submit their answers usually in simple check boxes or drop down menus. However, text boxes can also be used to provide more detailed responses
- The elimination of postage, paper and data entry costs.
- Data is available almost immediately and can easily be imported into data analysis software.
- Skip patterns and question logic can be easily programmed into the questionnaire.
- It is simple to send reminders and follow ups to participants.
- The cost of surveying additional respondents is minimised.
- It is convenient for respondents, who can complete the questionnaire at their leisure.
- Reduction of the interviewer effect on participants responses.
- Questions cannot be clarified and probed out as they could be in face to face or telephone questionnaires.
- Sample are limited to populations who have access to the Internet.
- It can be difficult to convert initially unwilling participants to take part in the research, as online messages can be easily ignored or overlooked.
- Creating a questionnaire app recquires some level of software knowledge, or the resources to hire a developer, to create the tool.
- Web-Based Surveys: This website from the Journal of Extension (JOE) provides a guide to the purpose and use of web-based surveys.
- Conducting Online Surveys: This book is a complete guide to conducting survey research using digital modalities.
- Lessons Learned Using Online Survey Software: This blog post from Susan Kristler provides an overview of the various strengths and weaknesses of using online survey software.
Archer, T. M. (2003). Web-based surveys. Journal of Extension, 41(4), Retrieved from http://www.joe.org/joe/2003august/tt6.php
This page is a stub (a minimal version of a page). You can help expand it. Click on Contribute Content or Contact Us to suggest additional resources, share your experience using the option, or volunteer to expand the description.