The evaluation plan should specify the sequence of evaluation activities and clearly spell out the roles and responsibilities of the evaluator or the different members of the evaluation team and all others involved in the evaluation process.
The evaluation manager will oversee the implementation of the evaluation plan and help problem-solve if any issues come up. She/he now plays a key role in communicating with the evaluation team, the evaluation steering committee and technical advisory group (if relevant) but also with the key stakeholders, such as the project / program manager, the community or others.
One of the first tasks is to agree a communication schedule, covering how often and how (such as verbal, e-mail updates, routine written reports etc.) the evaluation team leader (and/or other team members) check in with the evaluation manager on progress with the assigned tasks. Similarly, she/he is also responsible for keeping stakeholders informed of implementation progress through regular communications with the existing governance mechanisms for the evaluation and collecting input / feedback such as on the evaluation design, the evaluation work plan etc. (see Step 1).
It is particularly important to agree on how unforeseen issues that affect the implementation of the evaluation and may jeopardize particular milestones and/or deliverables will be raised, escalated and resolved. Ideally, this has already been agreed early on in the evaluation process (see Step 1).
- Progress reports
- Documented implementation challenges and how these were resolved
- Revised evaluation work plan
You are currently here:
+ - 2. Scope the evaluation
- Clarify what will be evaluated
- Describe the theory of change
- Identify who are the primary intended users of the evaluation and what will they use it for
- Develop agreed key evaluation questions
- Decide the timing of the evaluation
- Decide whether the evaluation will be done by an external team, an internal team or a hybrid of both
- Determine the evaluator qualities
- Identify what resources are available for the evaluation and what will be needed