This course introduces key MEL systems, processes, methods and tools. Using a case study, participants will gain hands on experience in designing a MEL plan. Participants will also have the opportunity to share experiences, challenges and lessons of doing MEL with peers, and can bring along their own case study for peer review.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people with some experience of monitoring and evaluation, who want to learn in more depth how to develop and set up a MEL system for either a project, programme or organisational strategy.
What you will learn
- What the current MEL debates and trends are, and how these influence INGO MEL design and implementation.
- What the key elements and processes of a MEL system are.
- How to design a MEL system using a systematic approach.
- How to write clear outcome statements, define MEL questions and identify key indicators.
- A range of quantitative and qualitative MEL data collection methods, and how to select these appropriately for a specific context.
- How to write a MEL plan and an evaluation plan.
- Different approaches to evaluation.
- How to communicate MEL findings to different audiences.
Eleanor Cozens: Eleanor has been responsible for country programmes for CARE in Comoros and Iraq and for VSO in Sri Lanka and the Maldives. She has also worked on the principles and practice for Sightsavers International's programme partnership policy.