Actual use of the evaluation findings often depends on how well the report meets the information needs of the primary intended users. Hence, it is important to discuss the content, sharing, and use of the evaluation report and other dissemination products during the initial planning of the evaluation, even though it may be one of the last evaluation tasks.
Findings can also be communicated to those who do not have a direct ‘stake’ in the evaluation. For example, lessons learned from the evaluation can be helpful to other evaluators or program staff working in the same field; or, it may be worthwhile sharing some of the findings through articles or stories to attract wider attention to the organization’s work, or to spread news about a particular situation.
Sharing evaluation findings through a report is only one way to distribute findings. Depending on the audience targeted and the available budget, other options may include:
- Presenting findings at staff fora and subject matter conferences
- Developing a short video version of the findings
- Sharing stories, pictures and drawings from the evaluation (depending on the methods used to collect the data)
- Creating posters or infographics for display
- Producing a series of short memos
- Evaluation report
- Products tailored to different audiences: Evaluation Summary, Policy Brief, newsletter, conference presentation, poster, video etc.
Further information & Resources
- Develop reporting media -provides further guidance, resources and examples to written and other types of reporting media including creative options (such as infographics, reporting in pictures).
You are currently here:
+ - 2. Scope the evaluation
- Clarify what will be evaluated
- Describe the theory of change
- Identify who are the primary intended users of the evaluation and what will they use it for
- Develop agreed key evaluation questions
- Decide the timing of the evaluation
- Decide whether the evaluation will be done by an external team, an internal team or a hybrid of both
- Determine the evaluator qualities
- Identify what resources are available for the evaluation and what will be needed