Participatory Learning and Action is a subscription based journal published bi-annually by the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED). The journal is aimed at reporting on the latest methods and options for using the PLA approach.
It is "a leading informal journal on participatory methods and approaches that strengthen rights, voice and governance and promote social justice. The series is published in English, with some issues translated into other languages, and some issues available in multimedia formats." (International Institute for Environment and Development, 2012)
The website also offers the opportunity to contribute papers for future issues of PLA.
Past issues include:
- PLA 65: Biodiversity and culture: exploring community protocols, rights and consent. IIED, June 2012. 224 pp. Guest-editors: Krystyna Swiderska, Kanchi Kohli, Harry Jonas, Holly Shrumm, Wim Hiemstra, Maria Julia Oliva
- PLA 64: Young citizens: youth and participatory governance in Africa. IIED, December 2011. 232 pp. Guest-editors: Jessica Greenhalf, Rosemary McGee
- PLA 63: How wide are the ripples? From local participation to international organisational learning. IIED, September 2011. 192 pp. Guest-editors: Hannah Beardon and Kate Newman
- 62: Wagging the dragon's tail: emerging practices in participatory poverty reduction in China. IIED, August 2011. 216 pp. Guest editors: Johanna Pennarz, Song Haokun, Deng Weijie and Wang Jianping
- 61: Tales of shit: Community-Led Total Sanitation in Africa. IIED, October 2010. 244 pp. Guest editors: Petra Bongartz, Samuel Musembi Musyoki, Angela Milligan and Holly Ashley . Also available in French (online only) and in French/English on DVD
- 60: Community-based adaptation to climate change. IIED, December 2009, 244 pp. Guest editors: Hannah Reid, Mozaharul Alam , Rachel Berger, Terry Cannon, Saleemul Huq , and Angela Milligan. Also available in Arabic (online only)
- 59: Change at hand: Web 2.0 for development. IIED and CTA, June 2009, 144 pp. Guest editors: Holly Ashley, Jon Corbett, Ben Garside and Giacomo Rambaldi. Also available in French/English on DVD
- 58: Towards empowered participation: stories and reflections. IIED, June 2008, 152 pp. Guest-edited by Tom Wakeford and Jasber Singh
- 57: Immersions: learning about poverty face-to-face. IIED, December 2007. 164 pp. Guest editors: Izzy Birch and Raffaella Catani