The book Time to Listen: Hearing People on the Receiving End of International Aid provides a rich overview of international aid, from the perspective of those who receive financial assistance.
It is particularly useful to evaluators in order to understand the dynamics of international aid, and the stakeholders involved in development projects, when developing evaluation questions and frameworks.
"This book captures the experiences and voices of over 6,000 people who have received international assistance, observed the effects of aid efforts, or been involved in providing aid. Over time, across very different contexts and continents, people’s experiences with international aid efforts have been remarkably consistent. While there was a wide range of opinions on specifics, the authors were struck by the similarity in people’s descriptions of their interactions with the international aid system. Their stories are powerful and full of lessons for those who care enough to listen and to hear the ways that people on the receiving side of aid suggest it can become more effective and accountable."
Source: Anderson, M. B., Brown, D., & Jean, I. (2012). Time to Listen: Hearing People on the Receiving End of International Aid. Cambridge, Massachusetts: CDA Collaborative Learning Projects.
The book is divided into chapters, as listed below:
- The Challenges of Listening: How Do We Hear and Understand: What People Really Mean?
- The Cumulative Impacts of International Assistance
- What’s Wrong with the Current Aid System?
- Donor Policies, Donor Agendas
- The Proceduralization of International Assistance: A Distorting Influence
- International Assistance in Partnership with Governments and Civil Society
- Corruption: A Surprisingly Broad Definition
- Informing and Communicating: Necessary But Not Sufficient
- Obstacles to Meaningful Engagement
- Conclusion: Acting on What We Have Heard
- List of Listening Project Field Visits and Feedback Workshops
- List of Participating Organizations
- List of Issue Papers and Policy Briefs
Anderson, M. B., Brown, D., & Jean, I. (2012). Time to Listen: Hearing People on the Receiving End of International Aid. Cambridge, Massachusetts: CDA Collaborative Learning Projects. Retrieved from http://www.cdacollaborative.org/media/60478/Time-to-Listen-Book.pdf