Structuring presentations with a series of powerpoint slides is now the most common way of presenting information to groups.
Unfortunately, many presentations are not prepared well, which leads to bored audiences. Powerpoint presentations are a useful way to organize information coming from evaluations as well. To make your presentation effective, you need to take time to prepare your results into a clear and interesting story that will engage your audience’s attention.
Advice on CHOOSING Powerpoint presentations
- PowerPoint can only be used when there is a projector, a computer and power. Without a projector and a light space to project onto, the presentation will be ineffective for groups larger than a few people.
- A PowerPoint presentation is only good if it supports what a presenter tells, rather than if it becomes the main source of information.
Advice for USING a Powerpoint presentation
- Know who your audience is so that you can communicate to them most effectively.
- Start with a compelling story, and then supplement your story with Powerpoint slides.
- Keep the slides simple and avoid clutter: short text, colourful graphs or other relevant imagery.
- Try to plan your presentation to display one new point at any given moment – so that you stay in sync with your audience.
- Use a sans serif font for body text (e.g. Arial, Helvetica, or Calibri) as they are the easiest to read on screens.
- Follow the 10:20:30 rule: Keep it short – 10 slides at the most - not longer than 20 minutes – and do not go under 30-point font size.
- Insert video into the presentation to provide another way to bring across your message and to liven a presentation.
Slide Show Presentation Tips. This website provides good advice on creating effective PowerPoint presentations.
12 tips for creating better PowerPoint presentations. This website gives detailed explanations on creating good PowerPoint presentations.
Wax, D. (2009). 10 tips for more effective powerpoint presentations. Lifehack. (Accessed 2012-05-15) http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/10-tips-for-more-effective-p...