This document from USAID provides a range of detailed tips for undertaking direct observation in the field.
It also provides a case study to demonstrate how direct observation can be used and an example of a direct observation form for recording observations.
Steps in Using Direct Observation:
- Step 1. Determine the focus
- Step 2. Develop direct observation forms
- Step 3. Select the sites
- Step 4. Decide on the best timing
- Step 5. Conduct the field observation
- Step 6. Complete forms
- Step 7. Analyze the data
- Step 8. Check for reliability and validity
Kumar, K. USAID, Center for Development Information and Evaluation. (1996). Performance monitoring and evaluation tips: Using direct observation techniques (PN-ABY-208). Retrieved from website: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABY208.pdf