Transcribe is a very useful tool if you need to transcribe a small amount of data and don't have access to some of the more professional, downloadable transcription software packages. It is low cost - there is a one week free trial, and you can buy an annual license for $20. Transcribe's two main advantages are that it is online, so you can access it without having to install anything, and its simplicity. It is an incredibly quick process to load up your audio file and figure out the controls. Rather than having to between clicking an audio player and a separate word document, transcribe has integrated both these aspects into the one window, and allows you to speed up, slow down, play back and pause the audio using your keyboards function keys - dramatically speeding up the process.
Transcribe offers a writing environment that is tightly integrated with an audio player, helping you transcribe audio in a single screen without having to constantly switch between a media-player and a text editor.
To transcribe an audio file:
- Click on "Choose File" to select the audio recording you wish to transcribe - we support the following file formats: mp3, mp4, m4a, amr, wma and wav.
- An audio player will open up. You can control the playback of the audio file using these handy shortcuts (Mac users: switch F1-F11 keys to function as standard function keys):
F1: slow down
F2: speed up
F3: rewind 2 seconds
F4: forward 2 seconds
F6: insert timestamp
- Start typing along. Transcribe will auto-save every keystroke. The transcribed text is stored with your browser and no data is ever sent to our servers. This data is persisted even if you restart your browser or computer as long as you don't clear your browser's cookies or cache.
- If you make a mistake while typing press Ctrl+z key (Command+z for Mac users) to undo the previous change.
- When you are done transcribing, you can export the text as a .doc file to your computer. You just need to click the export icon to download the file.
('How it works', Transcribe website)