This resource is an overview of STAR (System for Transformation and Results) which is a system developed by Root Change to "produce data signatures for six performance “drivers”, capacities that were predictive of a national society’s overall composite organizational development effectiveness score." (Root Change)
- Communication Effectiveness: This driver is concerned with how a CSO develops the skills needed to engage in productive consultation and coordination with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Impact Assessment: This driver is concerned with how a CSO collects, shares and uses information about the impact of its capacity-development work.
- Adaptive Planning: This driver is concerned with how a CSO customizes its capacity-development activities to reflect local needs, priorities and resources.
- People Development: This driver is concerned with how a CSO prepares board members, paid staff and volunteers at all levels of their “careers,” to make significant contributions to the organization’s work.
- Analysis: This driver is concerned with how a CSO develops the skills needed to identify trends related to vulnerability; the root causes of vulnerability; the ways in which these root causes interact with one another; and, the potential value of proposed programs.
- Organizational Learning: This driver is concerned with how a CSO develop the skills needed to generate new knowledge; to identify and share lessons learned; and to use lessons learned to improve programs." (Root Change)
Root Change, (n.d.). System for transformation and results (star) new pathways to understanding organizational capacity.