This guide, authored by Margo Charlton for Artreach Toronto, provides detailed guidance on using creative activities in conjunction with other evaluation methods in order to gain a clearer picture of the impact of a project/program.
'Objectives of Art Based Evaluation (ABE)
- Encourage multiple ways of expression.
- Express complex ideas.
- Encourage participants to share their feelings.
- Embrace the idea that we are all creative beings.
- Build on the creativity fostered in the project.
- Lay the ground for more in-depth responses
- through questionnaires or interviews.
- Give a quick snapshot of where a group is at.
- Generate materials (poems, drawing, collages, etc.)
- to be used in final reports.'
(ArtReach, p. 5)