Ethical protocol acknowledgement
The Ethical Protocol was written in 2019 by a collaborative Working Group including: Belinda Gibb & Sharon Babyack (Indigenous Community Volunteers), Donna Stephens (Menzies School of Health Research), Kate Kelleher (Kate Kelleher Consulting), Carol Vale & Debbie Hoger (Murawin Consulting), and Greet Peersman (BetterEvaluation). This document is part of the BetterEvaluation Project: Evaluation Practice in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Settings.
We acknowledge the input and review provided by Elizabeth Mason, Solicitor at Terri Janke and Company and thank the members of the Advisory Group and the Steering Committee for their guidance and feedback.
We acknowledge the work of a range of people and organisations that we have drawn on to develop the Ethical Protocol, including:
- Australian Council for International Development (ACFID). Code of Conduct. Deakin: ACFID, 2016.
- Australian Evaluation Society (AES). Code of Ethics. Melbourne: AES, 2013.
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS). Guidelines for Ethical Research in Australian Indigenous Studies (GERAIS). Canberra: AIATSIS, 2012.
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS). 2019 Revision of the AIATSIS Guidelines for Ethical Research in Australian Indigenous Studies, Consultation Draft. Canberra: AIATSIS, 2019.
- BetterEvaluation, Rainbow Framework.
- Boulton A, Potaka Osborne G, Cvitanovic L, Clarke S, Warner L, Judd J, Chakraborty A, Cargo M. The STrengthening Evaluation Practices and Strategies (STEPS) in Indigenous settings in Australia and New Zealand Project: Next ‘steps’ in the journey. Paper presented at the Australasian Evaluation Conference, Launceston, Tasmania, September 2018.
- Indigenous Data Sovereignty Summit and Australian Indigenous Governance Institute, Data Sovereignty Communique. Available at: https://www.maiamnayriwingara.org/key-principles
- National Health and Medical Research Council, Ethical conduct in research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities: Guidelines for researchers and stakeholders and Keeping research on track II.
- Terri Janke and Co. Advice on Copyright and Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property.
- The Fred Hollows Foundation Indigenous Australia Program. A Cultural Protocol for Evaluation.
We acknowledge and thank Maria Stephens, an Arrabi/Binning woman who speaks the Iwaidja language. She generously provided her artwork.