This guide provides a ten-step model to help plan, design, and implement a results-based M&E system for good management in organisations working in the public sector.
The guide describes these steps in detail, the tasks needed to complete them, and the tools available to help implement them. The process starts with a “Readiness Assessment” and works the design, management, and sustainability of the M&E system.
This resource and the following information was contributed to BetterEvaluation by Imtiaz Ayub.
Authors and their affiliation
Jody Zall Kusek and Ray C. Rist, The World Bank
Key features of this results based monitoring and evaluation resource
This is a very important guide for those who are involved in the designing, implementation and maintaining a monitoring and evaluation system for an organization, government, program or project. It is written in simple English language, is very comprehensive and clarifies the concepts very well. The book also contains many relevant examples.
How have you used or intend on using this resource?
I read this guide many times and was taking guidance from this book throughout my professional career. It was very helpful to me in designing M&E systems. It also a good source for additional references which readers may be interested in to deepen their understanding.
- Building a Results-Based Monitoring and Evaluation System
- New Challenges in Public Sector Management
- Results-Based M&E - A Powerful Public Management Tool
- M&E Experience in Development and Developing Countries
- Step 1: Conducting a Readiness Assessment
- Step 2: Agreeing on Outcomes to Monitor and Evaluate
- Step 3: Selecting Key Performance Indicators to Monitor
- Step 4: Setting Baselines and Gathering Data on Indicators
- Step 5: Planning for Improvement—Selecting Results Targets
- Step 6: Monitoring for Results
- Step 7: The "E" in M&E—Using Evaluation Information to
Support a Results-Based Management System
- Step 8: Reporting the Findings
- Step 9: Using the Findings
- Step 10: Sustaining the M&E System within the Organization
- Making Results-Based M&E Work for You and Your Organization
Kusek, J. Z., & Rist, R. C. (2004) Ten steps to a results based monitoring and evaluation system. A handbook for development practitioners. The World Bank.