This guide examines the benefits and limitations of the rapid appraisal approach.
It also provides information regarding the evaluation methods used by this approach, detailing each method's usefulness, advantages, and limitations.
- What is rapid appraisal?
- When are rapid appraisal methods appropriate?
- Use in types of evaluation
- Key principles for ensuring useful rapid appraisal data collection
- Common rapid appraisal methods & table
Specific methods mentioned
- Community discussions
- Exit polling
- Transect walks
- Focus groups
- Community mapping
- Secondary data collection
- Group discussions
- Customer service surveys
- Direct observation
Vondal, P (2010) Using Rapid Appraisal Options Performance Monitoring & Evaluation TIPS, Washington DC, USAID Center for Development Information and Development Evaluation. Retrieved from http://transition.usaid.gov/policy/evalweb/documents/TIPS-UsingRapidAppraisalMethods.pdf