This tool kit, written by Juliet Hunt for the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and AusAID, aims to provide development practitioners with the knowledge and tools necessary to ensure gender perspectives are taken into account when developing international development programs and initiatives.
"Identifying the gender equality results that any development initiative aims to achieve—along with the concrete actions needed to achieve these results, and the indicators needed to measure progress—are essential steps for reducing poverty, advancing gender equality, and empowering women.
Gender equality and women’s empowerment need to be pursued in their own right for a just and equal society, and have been acknowledged as important objectives for many decades, including in the Millennium Development Goals. Moreover, there is considerable evidence and broad international agreement that advancing gender equality helps reduce poverty, supports inclusive growth and other broad development outcomes, and enhances the effectiveness and sustainability of development initiatives.
Despite long-standing international commitments and the demonstrated benefits of addressing gender inequalities, incorporating gender perspectives into development work remains a significant challenge. One of the most important lessons is that actions to address gender inequalities must be explicit throughout development planning and programming if consistent progress is to be made toward gender equality. Without explicit objectives, strategies, targets, and actions to ensure women’s equal participation and outcomes, the needs of women and girls continue to be overlooked. Identifying clear indicators to measure gender equality results is essential to measure and improve performance." (Hunt 2013)
- Part A: Introduction and Framework 1
- Introduction to Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Indicators 3
- Measuring Changes in Gender Relations 11
- Part B: Gender Equality Results and Indicators 15
- Education and Training 17
- Energy 23
- Environmentally Sustainable Development and Climate Change 29
- Finance Sector, Private Sector, and Enterprise Development 35
- Health 41
- Humanitarian and Disaster Preparedness and Response 47
- Law, Justice, Security, and Violence against Women 53
- Public Sector Management and Reform 61
- Rural Development, Agriculture, and Food Security 67
- Transport 73
- Urban Development 79
- Water Supply and Sanitation 85
- Results and Indicators for Mitigating the Impacts of Displacement and Resettlement 91
- Sample Evaluation Questions on Gender Equality 93
Hunt, J. Asian Development Bank (ADB) & AusAID, (2013). Tool kit on gender equality results and indicators. Retrieved from website: http://www.adb.org/documents/tool-kit-gender-equality-results-and-indica...