This webinar, held on September 21, 2023, is the first instalment of the Global Evaluation Initiative's BExchange webinar series.
The discussion focused on the OECD’s recent Recommendation of the Council on Public Policy Evaluation, designed to enhance the utility of evaluations in decision-making for member countries. The event served as a platform for discussing the critical role of national monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems in informing evidence-based decision-making and improving the well-being of citizens.
- The Importance of Effective M&E Systems: The webinar emphasized the central role of M&E systems in shaping policies and programs that have a real impact on citizens' lives.
- OECD's Recommendation: The event introduced the OECD's Recommendation of the Council on Public Policy Evaluation, highlighting its significance as the first legal instrument dedicated to promoting the use of evaluations for decision-making within OECD member countries.
- Experiences from Member Countries: Participants had the privilege of hearing firsthand experiences from Portugal and Colombia who have adopted the OECD standard to enhance the institutionalization, quality, and impact of their evaluations.
The webinar concluded with a sense of optimism about the potential of OECD's Recommendation and the vital role it plays in bridging the gap between rigorous evaluation results and evidence-informed decision-making. GEI expressed its commitment to organizing more insightful events in the future, fostering knowledge sharing and collaboration on promoting evidence in decision-making.
- Claire Salama (Team Lead for Monitoring and Evaluation at the OECD Public Governance Directorate): Claire provided insights into the principles and goals of the OECD's Recommendation.
- Catarina Pereira (Head of Evaluation Unit at PlanAPP – Competence Centre for Planning, Policy, and Foresight in Public Administration, Portugal): Catarina shared Portugal's experiences in implementing the OECD standard and discussed how it has contributed to strengthening their national M&E system.
- Patricia Moreno (Deputy Director of Evaluation at the National Planning Department of Colombia): Patricia provided valuable insights into Colombia's utilization of the OECD Recommendation, shedding light on the department's prior evaluation standards and the standards that are currently being implemented.
- Dugan Fraser (Program Manager of the Global Evaluation Initiative): Dugan guided the discussion, ensuring that key insights were extracted from the speakers and addressing audience questions effectively.